Sunday, August 30, 2020

A new semester, in a turbulent world

This semester is different from others in so many ways. The last semester ended in the middle of what seemed to be the end of the world. The time between that sudden and unsure disruption in February and now, August, still seems so unreal. I spent those months huddled inside my house and unfortunately in and out of hospitals, due to my mom's medical conditions. The worst part of that semester was having to finish my finals while my mom was isolated in hospital after a major back surgery. Because of the pandemic I wasn't allowed to stay her like I always do, and so my anxiety was through the roof to say the least. I passed all my classes by some stroke of luck but I have never had such a hard time balancing my academic responsibilities with my mental health. 

The beginning of this semester is filled with so many new adjustments, with is new academic environment but also personally. That's not to say I'm not really excited to be back in school especially after a summer locked up in quarantine. School provides a meaningful purpose. I am only four classes away from getting my associates, and this semester knocks out three of the four. Almost there!!

11 comments:

  1. Almost there indeed!

    You adapted to the abrupt 'stay-at-home' order earlier this year.

    You survived the anxiety-filled time of your mom's surgery.

    You will succeed in IS101-3022 and the other two classes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I hope your mom is doing fine. Push through and finish strong for her. Anxiety sucks and I know how it feels. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You exemplify grit and determination no matter the hardship!

    Keep consistent with that same energy and you will go far in life- don’t let the stumbles in the road be the end of a journey. That life lesson applies no different to your academic path.

    New adjustments and new environment- find what works best for you and capitalize on that, and you’ll do perfect! Congrats on being so close to completing your A.A. degree.

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your mom is recovering well from her surgery. It is hard not being able to be with loved ones during tough times, but you persevered! It must be exciting being so close to the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't spend time with your mother but glad that you finished the last semester. Congratulations on being close to the finish line and keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I hope your mom is doing well I have not see my parents for 4 years too, can't go back home because of Covid-19 just talking on the phone. I am so happy with you that you have almost finish school. Congratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Linda,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom I can only imagine how hard that was not to be near her and trying to figure out the world during a pandemic. I hope your mom is better and let this semester be the beginning of something amazing as you work toward completing your degree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A champion at conquering adversity. The pandemic hit us all hard and suddenly, but mentally thinking of a parent in the hospital during such a time. Glad to have read you both overcame that difficult moment life presented to your family. Also an early congrats on receiving your Associates Degree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is inspiring to see you push back the obstacles life is throwing at you. Hope your mom is doing better. Good luck with the four classes you have left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine the anxiety you must've had going through this pandemic. You truly are a strong woman with high ambitions. This is inspiring to hear as a freshman in college whose also struggling to try and balance work, family, and personal health all during this time. I'm happy to hear that you're really close towards getting your associates and proving that obstacles cannot stop you from finding new ways to push forward. I wish you the best of luck to you and your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When Covid19 caused everyone to move to an online based school setting, it was devastating for me. I had lost most of my motivation and drive. Linda, I would like to say I envy you. You sound like the kind of person I want to be more like, strong. I hope for the better for you. We'll make it through this!

    ReplyDelete