Friday, September 11, 2020

All the Obnoxious little things

There are little things in our lives that we are blind to until the day comes that they prove their obnoxious importance.  

Those days come with exasperated sighs at underestimated chores and overwhelmed hands chasing task after task. I never saw how much it really took my mom to clean a whole house until it became my job. I never saw how much skill making meals three times a day takes. The errands, the doctors appointments, the bills, the family things you just have to do, the small things that just fall through the cracks. There are so many little things, that I never saw being tied up nice and tidy. 

If I could go back and help her more I would have, I would have learned more, but now I sit in an unraveling nest, frustrated and tired. This is how my mom says strong women are made. But I didn't want to be a strong woman when I was a little girl, and sometimes it feels like just yesterday I was chasing dreams. 

However there is an undeniable sweetness in learning to be more than you have been, that doesn't fail to be seen this time. I know this is a hard time, but I'm learning. Maybe one day all the little things I do for the family I don't have yet, wont be unseen. 


10 comments:

  1. It's hard to appreciate the little things when someone else always tidied them for us so we didn't have to be bothered with them :-) I am glad you have the opportunity to return to love for your mom. Yes, it is hard and it does make one stronger ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right, Linda, the obnoxious little things that carry substantial value and importance in life. I really appreciate your examples included, and how all of them inevitably must be addressed in life. The tidying up and cleaning of a house is huge- It's hard to believe some people do not know how to properly clean a toilet or what cleaning supplies to use. These obnoxious little things hold lots of weight and are really "big" things in some way. After all, who wants to live in a dirty house or have a dirty workspace at work (Definitely not me!)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your mom appreciates all that you are doing for her now even if you did not help as much when you were younger. I think you still learned a lot from her by her example. I agree with her that trying times make strong women, and although you may not have been ready, you are definitely stepping up to the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a strong woman because you came from a strong woman! I know its hard right now but just know that you will get through this. Your mom is so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ironic that you decided to talk about this. Many children, myself included, don't realize the amount of work our mother's put into our lives. The sacrifices she made for me weren't fully noticed until I got older. Your children will notice what you do for them the older they get and they will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you wrote is true. We take things for granted without realizing the sacrifices our parents go through just to give us an abundant life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parents are truly real life superheroes. Sometimes we forget to fully appreciate what others do. I feel like the fact that their work isn't completely evident to their kids is just another example of the effort being made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A strong individual recognizes and appreciates all the little building blocks it takes for a parent to help their children grow. You and your mother are fortunate you two have one another, and hopefully you have expressed your gratitude with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so true, like my mother used to tell me,you don't know how much parents care for their children until you are in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The amount of effort a parent makes to ensure a positive growth in their children only shows how much they love them. The things we do for love can be quite immense, especially for family.

    ReplyDelete