Saturday, December 19, 2020

Favorite Cartoons and the Odd obsession with Sociopaths in Western Media

 My one of favorite cartoons right now is Rick and Morty. I've watched the forty episodes the world has been blessed with over and over again. I like to listen to it in the background while I do homework. I love the crazy antics Rick pulls Morty and the rest of the family through. The other day I was explaining to my sister why I liked the show so much. She interrupted my explanation and said simply "Ya its not for me. I don't like watching shows that glorify shitty people". 

I laughed out at this because my sister watched all the episodes of "You" a Netflix series literally glorifying a murderous, manipulative, "shitty" person. My sister defended herself by saying that she watched the show because she was bored and then she got hooked. But my dear sister is overlooking the fact that to get hooked, you have to take the bait, you have to like the taste of the wriggly slimly worm. 

I didn't watch "You" because Joe very quickly reminded me of a super toxic ex I had. But I am just as bad as my sister because like the majority of western society, I am often enchanted by the relatable sociopaths that riddle our entertainment. I loved Dexter, I thought Walter White was so cool, and House was my to go watch on the weekend. 

Its not until you experience these people in real life that you really  become aware of how disgustingly horrible they are. House is arguably the lesser of the evils in the list mentioned above, until you start going to doctors appointment after doctors appointment with your mom and you're confronted with the same narcistic, apathetic and demeaning personalities in the people that have been entrusted with the literal well being of the human race (not saying all doctors are sociopaths, but a lot of them sure don't see people as people).

The truth is there is a reason why sociopathy is considered a personality disorder. They hurt people. They hurt themselves. And they don't care. But I guess they sure are entertaining to watch. I'm definitely not going to stop watching Rick and Morty, after all I kinda like what all these shows about anti-heroes have to say about morality and the human ego. 

But maybe my sister is right and we shouldn't glorify these people. After all how come so many of them get their own shows, while the even greater stories of marginalized people being ignored? What are your opinions on our societies obsession with "shitty" people?

4 comments:

  1. The only references in your post that I recognize are Dexter, Walter White, and House M.D. House M.D. is the only show that I watched so I'll comment on it. I loved the show because of the brilliance of the character House M.D. and the script writing. I don't think the character House M.D. would survive as a real person but House M.D. was definitely entertaining to watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm much like your sister, except for reasons other than "glorifying horrible people." I've never watched Rick and Morty, but I do watch the Netflix series, "You." I'm also a fan of Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale." Moreover, two of my favorite cartoons as a child were Avatar The Last Airbender and Pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever heard of "You." Of the shows you mentioned, like Professor Wu, I have only watched House, but I have seen bits and pieces of Rick and Morty because my husband likes to watch it. I don't have an answer for society's obsession with "shitty" people, but I am guilty as charged. Although I prefer true crime stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen Rick and Morty but I have a lot of friends that love that show. I can't speak about society's obsession with "shitty" people but I will say that I love watching some trash tv. I love shows like 90 day fiance and teen mom just because I find it entertaining and there's always some dumpster fire going on with these people. It's my guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete